3.17.2011

Dear Ugly Chair: Will you be mine?

Rick has accused me of having a crush on chairs. What can I say? I see cheap chairs with potential on Craigslist, I send an intricately folded love note that says "Will you be mine? Circle YES or NO with the nearest gel pen," and the next thing you know we're hurtling off to go pick them up after I've had time to update my Facebook relationship status and say OMG a few times. As a result, this is what our apartment's front entryway has looked like for the past, well, while:


We showed the apartment to several different prospective tenants last week, and more than one asked if "the junk in the hallway" was going to be removed when we moved out.

Hhmmph.  

Junk.

In my opinion, nothing says "Welcome to our home" better than a precariously stacked pile of ugly chairs.

The good news is, I know exactly where I want each of those ugly chairs to be used and what it will look like after we spend some quality time getting to know each other better.

The Plan:
Disclaimer: This may only be The Plan for the next 3 minutes and 48 seconds, so read fast.

I picture these (that are currently the most heinous shade of burnt orange) with a coat of silvery paint and some fun fabric for our desk chairs:


And these with a glossy black lacquer finish around the dining room table:


And this one, for the den, gets new fabric and a paint job:


Speaking of the den, there's an ongoing dispute between my mom and I about the name of said room. She insists that "den" is much too modern for our 1897 home, opting instead for "parlor." So, we've compromised on "darlor." Or "pen," though that brings with it connotations of livestock and manure.

Anyway, that's my story about my romance with chairs. It's sort of like Romeo & Juliet, except there are no daggers or tunics or hare-brained schemes about pretending to be dead. Which pretty much makes my love affair a whole lot better than that of the star-crossed teenagers of yore. (Psst...guess what my next English 9 unit is?) ;)

6 comments :

  1. Aunt Debi6/01/2011

    hey the "darlor" chair....i had that chair in scotts ny church office! for real i really did,i thought they were beautiful,i'm glad someone still does....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy@ Journey Mum6/01/2011

    The chairs are beautiful! You just have a very good eye for the 'bones' or potential. Not crazy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn@P&C6/01/2011

    ooooh I vote parlour! =) and those "ugly chairs" have so much potential =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly @ VATW6/01/2011

    I hope you're not mad, but I have a confession to make. I also have a crush on your orange chairs. Possibly an infatuation. I would take them home with me in a heartbeat, and have a long, happy life with them... if I ever happened upon them in a pile in some hallway. But alas. I will just look on with envy as you make them inevitably fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh...I LOVE the DR ones! Told you I'm reading every post. And I'm done nursing the baby for awhlie so I can type with both hands right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always scour Craigslists for chairs that are aesthetically challenged! I didn't say I BUY them, but I look. Truth be told, they're hard to come by around here. :(

    And, you referenced Romeo and Juliet. See? A girl after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so don't be shy. :) Thanks for being here!

Want to read more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...